De Family Media Guide, een website die zich bezighoudt met het keuren van familie vriendelijke games, films en televisieseries, heeft een Top 10 van de meest gewelddadige games van 2005 samengesteld. Het lijstje is gebaseerd op grof woordgebruik, sex, geweld en drugsgebruik. Hierna is er ook nog een een "database-driven technologie" overheen gegaan die aan de hand van 4000 regels en algoritmes tot het onderstaande verwerpelijke tiental komt:- Resident Evil 4 – Player is a Special Forces agent sent to recover the President's kidnapped daughter. During the first minutes of play, it's possible to find the corpse of a woman pinned up on a wall — by a pitchfork through her face.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas – Player is a young man working with gangs to gain respect. His mission includes murder, theft, and destruction on every imaginable level. Player recovers his health by visiting prostitutes then recovers funds by beating them to death and taking their money.
- God of War – Player becomes a ruthless warrior, seeking revenge against the gods who tricked him into murdering his own family. Prisoners are burned alive and player can use “finishing moves” to kill opponents – like tearing a victim in half.
- Narc – Player can choose between two narcotics agents attempting to take a dangerous drug off the streets and shut down the KRAK cartel while being subject to temptations including drugs and money. To enhance abilities, player takes drugs including pot, Quaaludes, ecstasy, LSD and “Liquid Soul” – which provides the ability to kick enemies' heads off.
- Killer 7 - Player takes control of seven assassins who must combine skills to defeat a band of suicidal, monstrous terrorists. The game eventually escalates into a global conflict between the U.S. and Japan. Player collects the blood of fallen victims to heal himself and must slit own wrists to spray blood to find hidden passages.
- The Warriors – Based on a 70's action flick that set new standards for “artistic violence,” a street gang battles its way across NYC in an attempt to reach its home turf.
- 50 Cent: Bulletproof – Game is loosely based on the gangster lifestyle of rapper Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson. Player engages in gangster shootouts and loots the bodies of victims to buy new 50 Cent recordings and music videos.
- Crime Life: Gang Wars – Player is the leader of a ruthless street gang, spending time fighting, recruiting new gangsters, fighting, looting, and of course, more fighting. Player can roam the streets and fight or kill anyone in sight for no apparent reason.
- Condemned: Criminal Origins - Player is an FBI serial killer hunter in one of the first titles for the Xbox 360. Game emphasizes the use of melee weapons over firearms, allowing players to use virtually any part of their environment as a weapon.- True Crime: New York City - Player is a NYC cop looking for information regarding the mysterious death of a friend. Player can plant evidence on civilians and shake them down to earn extra money.
Volgens de Family Media Guide is hun ratingsysteem beter dan dat van de ESRB (Electronic Software Ratings Board), dat de standaard ratings zou baseren op de subjectieve meningen van drie personen die niet eens de spellen spelen.